The First National Students' Film Awards and Students' Film Festival of India
As part of the celebration marking the centenary of Indian Cinema, the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune and Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute ( SRFTI), Kolkata , are happy to announce the first National Students'' Film Awards and the Students' Film Festival of India . The event is organized by the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) , Pune along with Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute ( SRFTI), Kolkata and the Directorate of Film Festivals under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, New Delhi. These Awards will be held alternatively at FTII Pune and SRFTI Kolkata each year.
This Festival initiative aspires to provide the much needed platform for the young and upcoming talents of student filmmakers in the country to meet and share their work with each other. It aspires to create a meaningful space and atmosphere for the dialogue long overdue specially within the Asian Indian context amongst the students, the film fraternity and the audiences at large. We hope that these young film expressions bring us closer to an essential understanding of the coexistence specific to the diverse cultures, multiple languages, myriad faiths and belief systems that we live in. The festival would also have an international section (Non- competitive) of the best students' films from the top film schools across the globe.
The Awards serve only as a token of appreciation for the excellence in the aesthetic choices, technical application, socio-political inquiry, creative interpretation and innovation that underscore the making of a compelling Short; as also a humble contribution towards supporting and encouraging the journey our young friends have undertaken.
A multi tier independent jury comprising of eminent filmmakers from across the country will make the selection for the Festival as well as the Awards. Entries are invited in the three categories of Fiction, Non-Fiction & Animation.
The exact dates of the National Students' Film Awards and the subsequent Festival will be announced on this website at a later date.
Rules and Regulations:
1. Films made in or after January 2011. (completion date to be certifed by the Institute.)
2. Proposed categories of Awards.
1) Short Fiction
A. Films upto 10 min.
B. Films above 10 upto 30 min.
A. Films upto 30 min.
upto 30 min.
3. Eligibility for entry
(a) Films produced by an Institution as part of the academic curriculum in or after January 2011.
(b) Films must be entered officially by the Institution. A hard copy of the application form and declaration to be duly forwarded under the seal and signature of the Institute head /concerned authority.
(c) Individual entries by students will not be entertained.
(d) The Awards are only applicable to students. In case of a crew member being a non student/ working professional, it needs to be clearly mentioned in the entry form. In any case Awards would only be given to the contribution made by students only.
(e) If it is discovered at any time ( before , during or after the event) that any institution has made an attempt to win this award by getting the film made by professionals or non students and subsequently send the entries in the name of students , then the particular institution will be blacklisted and debarred from participating in subsequent awards/ events for all the times to come and such names will be listed on the web site of National Students Film Awards . The said institution may also be liable for legal proceedings for deliberate misrepresentation of facts and cheating a Government of India Institution .
4. Entry fee is INR 500 for each entry. The Demand Draft for the total amount of entry fees should be drawn in favour of Accounts Officer, FTII, Pune on a nationalized bank payable at Pune
5. Number of entries:
(a) Total number of entries can go upto a maximum of 12 for an Institution.
(b) The number in each category
a) Fiction (Below 10 minutes) - maximum of 3 entries
b) Fiction (Above 10 minutes up to 30 minutes) - maximum of 3 entries
c) Non Fiction - maximum of 3 entries
d) Animation - maximum of 3 entries
6. Film Format :
(a) Two sets of preview DVDs (each film on a separate DVD) to be sent as an Institutional entry for the consideration for awards.
(b) Each DVD must be labelled clearly with the Name of the Institution, Title of the film, Shooting format, Director's Name, Language, Duration alongwith the Category applied for.
(c) The film must be subtitled in English.
(d) The format for the films to be previewed by the jury for selection and Awards is 35mm or a high resolution quicktime movie (.mov) file. No other format will be accepted.
7. The entries once submitted will not be allowed to withdraw.
8. It should be clearly mentioned in the entry form whether or not a film has the certification by the Central Board of Film Certification.
9. The value of the Awards is INR 1 lakh each for the best film in respective categories. In addition, Jury has the discretion of conferring other special awards as merit certificates.
10. The preview copies will be kept in the FTII archives to be only used for non-commercial and academic purposes of research reference and film studies.
11. However the Festival authority may in future consider telecasting/bringing out the selected/award winning films of the Festival on DVD for home video release. Please mention whether or not you agree for the same in the form.
12. Last date of submission
(a) Online application forms must be completed before the last date of 31st January 2013.
(b) The DVDs and Demand Drafts must reach the office of the NSFA by 5th February 2013.
(c) Please write NSFA Entry on the envelope and also mark it as 'for non-commercial and academic purposes only.'
13. The responsibility of the damage, delay or loss of the DVDs/Prints in transit, lies solely with the applicant.
14. The DVDs of the films entered for the Awards/Festival should be sent to the following address:
Film and Television Institute of India
Law College Road
Click Here to Apply Online